172 Burnout Prevention: A 15-Minute Game Changer
The Burnout is REAL!! As the holiday season approaches, it’s crucial to address the emotional well-being of healthcare professionals. Host Dr. Lia Gaggino sits down with Ariel Lucas, a pediatric nurse practitioner, who shares her journey into the field and her personal struggle with exhaustion and emptiness. She opens up about the physical and emotional toll it took on her and how it affected her interactions with patients and loved ones. As a pediatric professional navigating personal and professional challenges,
Ariel found solace and motivation during her cycling workouts, which ultimately led to a positive transformation in her mental health and outlook on life, not to mention her personal and financial stress, ultimately reclaiming her strength and vitality. Listen in as Ariel talks about her experience at a wellness retreat and the valuable lessons she learned about prioritizing self-care and kindness. This episode is a reminder for all healthcare professionals to take care of themselves so they can better care for others.
Join Dr. Gaggino as she explores Ariel’s journey from exhaustion to empowerment and discovers the profound impact of self-care and physical activity on her personal and professional life.
[00:33 -07:28] The Importance of Self-Care
- Defining what self-care actually means and busting common misconceptions about it being selfish.
- Exploring different methods of self-care tailored to individual needs and lifestyles.
- Discussing how caring for oneself provides the energy needed to help others effectively.
- Tips for consistently incorporating self-care into your daily schedule without feeling guilt.
[07:29 -12:24] Striking a Work-Life Balance
- Communicate boundaries to colleagues and stick to them.
- Prioritize tasks to maximize productivity during work hours.
- Integrate short breaks throughout the workday to reduce stress.
- Ensure leisure activities are part of your weekly routine for relaxation.
[12:25 – 19:53] Inspiring Others by Example
- Ariel serves as an example that even busy people can add wellness habits
- She does weekly lunch workouts with some of the providers at her office
- She goes on bike rides with some of the students she works with
- Her openness to wellness has directly inspired a few people at her office
[19:54 – 29:17] Embracing Selflessness
- Simple ways to incorporate selfless acts into everyday life.
- The impact of volunteering and being part of collective goals.
- How understanding and responding to the needs of others enhances personal growth.
- Ensuring self-care to avoid burnout while helping others.
[29:18 – 34:35] Closing segment Takeaway
Links to resources mentioned on the show
Books Mentioned in the Episode
Other episodes you may like:
Ep154 The Joys and Challenges of Pediatrics: Gather Your Spoons!
Ep135 Physician Wellness: Find Your ‘One Thing
Ep116 Physician Wellness Coaching: Proven Benefit!
Key quotes for Twitter:
“If your cup is full, it overflows. So if you do that 1 thing, then you might find that you have enough energy for the next thing”… Nurse Practitioner, Ariel Lucas
“If we love ourselves well, we’re loving others well”… Nurse Practitioner, Ariel Lucas
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Pediatric Meltdown was listed as a Top 20 Pediatric Podcast on FeedSpot.
If you’d like to connect with me, you can Tap the “What Are Your Thoughts” button at the top of the notes or you can find me on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, or email me at [email protected]. To learn more about me visit https://www.medicalbhs.com/
LOVE WHAT YOU HEARD? Leave us a 5-star review so we can continue to provide you with great content. Share this episode and help people know more about children’s health and well-being.